[Spridgets] Dies

Michael MacLean rrengineer.mike at att.net
Sat Aug 3 16:49:39 MDT 2013

Linda,
     Next time buy the pump from Aircraft Spruce. (Google them) It's
only 36 bucks for the same flow Facet pump.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php?clickkey=14306
The first pump listed is what I bought a few months ago to replace the Facet
pump I had in my Bugeye. Unfortunately, it was only $26 then. Must have raised
their prices. Still cheaper though.  One word of caution.  Don't let these
Facet pumps run dry for any length of time.  I let my tank run dry because my
son "borrowed" some gas from my parked Bugeye in the garage At the time I did
not have a working gas gauge due to a bad sending unit.  I remembered filling
up recently and just took off with the car for a friend's house.  By the time
I got there, the pump was furiously ticking away on a dry tank.  After that it
would not pump fuel very well and I got stranded leaving the car show we
showed the Bugeye at with my friend when it died by the side of the road.  I
thought it was the fuel filter and I bypassed it on the side of the road with
a length of plastic tubing I begged from a nearby garage. The car started up
and I thought I had solved the
 problem.  On the way home I was trying to pass a car on the freeway and the
pump could not keep up.   The engine almost died again.  I limped it home and
replaced the pump and the filter.  Runs better than ever now.  Oh, and I
replaced the fuel sending unit, so now after ten years of no gas gauge I don't
have to dip the tank anymore and my son will not be "borrowing" any more gas.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2

Linda Grunthaner <grunthaner at gmail.com>