[Spridgets] Stationary Engine 1275cc

David Ambrose stargazer1 at cox.net
Thu Aug 22 01:00:08 MDT 2013

There's a guy named Mickey Pleasant in either Encinitas or Carlsbad that
has an engine stand for an A series engine. Check the San Diego
Craigslist. He regularly lists engines for sale.

To make the stand work, you need an fuel pump, oil pressure guage, water
temp guage, ignition and starter switches, a radiator, and a battery.
You can make a suitable engine support out of angle iron. Oh, you'll
also need the down pipe, and maybe a muffler.

As I remember, He just put the engine on this very sturdy table, and ran
it. You don't need to restrain it much for starting, and it doesn't
really accelerate enough to move itself off the table.

The large pipe on the manifold is for the gulp valve. You can seal that
if you're desmogging it. You can also plug the holes for the air
injection rail with allen head set screws (aka grub screws). If you
remove the smog gear, you will also need to ensure you have the right
needles and carb springs. If you have the throttle plates with air
bypass valves, you can replace those with solid throttle plates for
better performance. The vacuum take off for the distributor is usually
on a carb, not the manifold.

Good luck,
Dave Ambrose