[Spridgets] Hydraulic fluid and asphalt - no LBC

Bob Kitterer bkitterer at me.com
Sat Feb 16 15:35:07 MST 2013

List

Help needed - Last Thursday the local trash truck had a hydraulic line burst
dumping gallons of fluid on the asphalt street.  We are trying to determine
what problems, if any, we should be concerned about.  This is a private street
an the upkeep and repairs comes out of our pockets.  The street is in
excellent condition.

The spill occurred about 8:00 a.m. and with in a couple of hours a hazmat
certified crew was out putting something on the spill.  The next afternoon
they swept that material up and started steam cleaning the asphalt.  However
it started to rain and between their fluid recovery and the addition of the
rain water their recovery tank filled up so they had to stop with only a 1/3
of the job done.  They do not work on weekends so it was Monday before they
finished steam cleaning the asphalt.

We are getting different answers from different people as to the short and
long term impact of the hydraulic fluid and the asphalt.  So I would
appreciate any information that will helps us deal with this situation.

TIA

Bob and Dolores

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes