[Spridgets] Blanking sleeve and blocked bypass again...

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 26 17:57:20 MDT 2013

It's not called a "restrictor plate".  It's called a "blanking sleeve". Moss
sells them.

Clearly you are not following.

The BMC Special Tuning Guide states...
"Assuming the thermostat is working correctly, overheating can result if it
is removed without fitting a blanking sleeve 11G 176 in it's place.
Alternatively, the bypass connection between the cylinder head and water
pump may be sealed on 'A' series engines."

It's not that I want to run without a thermostat.
My situation is that the previous owner on the 1100 head that I just
installed blocked the bypass.
At this point I'd have to remove the head to unblock it and I'm not up to
doing that.

Now, I don't think it is safe to run a thermostat if the bypass is blocked.

I think I provided a good reason why it's bad to do this.

I just looked at Moss's catalog and it looks like the 1275 cars have the
bypass too.
The 1500 design is a different animal (but I'll bet there is still a bypass
mechanism)

And no, I'm not trying to pull anybody's chain.

Now, you explain to me why the bypass "did'nt do all that much and was'nt
needed" or else I will think you are pulling everyone's chain.
You can start by drawing yourself a little schematic of how the water flows
through the A series cooling system.
With any luck it should then become clear to you why the bypass is there.
With a little more luck it might become clear to you that just about any car
with a thermostat must have (and does have) a bypass mechanism.