[Spridgets] Blanking sleeve and blocked bypass again...

Dean Hedin dlh2001 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 27 19:55:26 MDT 2013

Don't take it that way.
You got it from other people who were wrong.

I just looked through Vizard's "How to modify your Mini" and his discussion
about
the blanking sleeve is also incorrect.

Vizard states that if you install the blanking sleeve then you'll want to
block off the bypass.
That's wrong.  The blanking sleeve WILL block off the bypass.

If you read Vizard's text on this it will be clear that it is second hand
info he is relaying.
e.g. "I have it on good authority..."  In addition, he doesn't describe the
flow of water around
the thermostat and why the bypass is there in the first place.

I am absolutely certain that if you have the bypass blocked off, then you
MUST NOT install a
thermostat.  You risk overheating areas of the engine furthermost from the
thermostat.
Just draw yourself a diagram of how the water flows with the thermostat
closed off and
it all becomes clear.

It's unsettling that Vizard was wrong about this...but he was so right on
everything else
that I can easily forgive him.