[Spridgets] Condensers

Martyn Ridley ridleymj at brant.net
Tue May 14 13:29:53 MDT 2013

First off a thanks to all those who responded.

In all my (many) years I had not experienced failures like this.  It
appears that a batch of orange wire units are faulty.  We (my friends
and I) have experienced 3 in the past 6 months - all recent purchases.

I did get (yes, orange wire) good units from Advanced Distributors. We
will see. (My last orange wire unit worked for most of last season
before quitting this spring).

I am still suspect of all orange wire condensers and so keep a couple of
old (black wire) units in the car just in case.  My Moss supplier points
out that all these parts come from the same place so its best to wait
till the current batch is used up.

As for electronic ignition, I tried it back in the 70s (Mobelec and
Pirranah) but found it was quasi reliable.  I'm sure things have
improved (witness my British Honda) but I have have heard stories of
Protronics issues.  And, I was advised by Advanced Distributors to stick
with points.

So my next step is to check with my English suppliers to see if they
have non-orange wire condensers.  I will keep the list informed.

Cheers,
Martyn