[Spridgets] Bad braking

Bud Osbourne abcoz at hky.com
Mon Jan 20 08:46:50 MST 2014

If there were "lumps of goo in the various cylinders", it has nothing to do
with silicone and glycol brake fluids "mixing".  The two are incompatible
and WILL NOT MIX/COMBINE.  Period.
Put some of each in a beaker/clear glass container, put the lid on and shake
them up.  Then watch how quickly they separate.

Not sure what "real racers" are using in their brake systems, these days.
But, thirty years ago, when I was a "real racer" (SCCA E-prod. MGB),
silicone was pretty widely used in racing brake systems.  No problem with a
"spongy" pedal, ever........provided that the air was fully bled out of the
system.   I understand that silicone fluid tends to retain air bubbles
longer than glycol-based fluid.  It's all in how you handle the stuff, I
suppose.

My "street" cars have used and continue to use both types of fluid, for
various reasons/personal whims.  Not, I don't put silicone and glycol fluids
in the same system.  Different moisture retention characteristics (silicone
doesn't, glycol does), different boiling points and probably a few other
reasons I'm missing.

Bud