[Spridgets] Bugeye/Frogeye Club..... Racer guys Engine help

Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net
Sat Jul 5 22:07:31 MDT 2014

Ron, I'll put in one of these other needles and see what happens, wires seem
good and timing light shows good on each one.

Jim, that was the first thing I did, showed 205 on cylinders 1, 2, and 3 but
only 185 on 4.  That was the FIRST thing that I did..For an engine with less
than 20 miles on it that difference bothers me and did from the start.  That
said, it's spitting out the front carb..

Lester

On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:44 PM, Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net [bugeye] wrote:

> Ok, latest bit of info..
>

> Installed working non-electronic distributor.  Only change is that the bang
from the backfire is a little weaker.

> Removed the airfilter and housing, the front carb is spitting out fuel/air
mix every rotation, only getting backfire every third or fourth time.  Looks
like one of my wildly ported two strokes.

> Verified fuel pump is moving fuel.
>
> Lifting up on dashpot causes backfire to be a little less.
>
> Next course of action is to blow through the jet from the needle side to the
bowl to verify that all is clear....

> ..unless there are other options.
>
> BTW  I pulled needles from another carb set and found some loose jets in a
bag by the distributor...  no two of them are the same.  I may still install
what appears to be a richer one if nothing else works.

> Lester
>
> .. and what are the symptoms of a cam that has been installed incorrectly?
>
> No, I haven't done the vacuum testing yet as the car won't idle worth a
damn.