[Spridgets] Bugeye/Frogeye Club..... Racer guys Engine help

Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 10:30:22 MDT 2014

Very underwhelmed WST, VERY!

Just tried again and I'll list stuff so new eyes can see what I'm missing.

1275 bored to 1380 cc

FO  1-3-4-2

#1 cyl closest to radiator

Set engine to TDC.  This was done by removing valve cover  and rotating engine
until both rocker arms were NOT moving and had some slight play.

This lines up with pointer that has been installed and white outlined mark on
balancer.  Seen from passengers side looking at balancer.  There are 3 marks
father along clockwise on balancer.

Install 123 distributor per manufacturers directions.  Verify that distributor
rotor is pointing at # 1 spark plug lead.  Turn distributor until I get some
degree of running.  Get spitting back through carb.

I have not tried to rev it up to see if it will run better, I need a second
person here for that and it doesn't happen very often.

Get tired and give up with temps in Mid- 90s

Send out another email.

At this point I am considering installing my personally built cheater motor (
Early 1098 crank and 1098 pistons in 948 block with an Aussie spec (TM) cam).

Lester

On Jul 6, 2014, at 5:27 PM, Wm Severin Thompson wrote:

> Lester, I've been in the weeds in this one, but if I recall, you were
underwhelmed by the performance of a semi-race motor? My first thought was
improper cam timing during assembly.

> WST
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 5, 2014, at 11:07 PM, Lester <oldsaabguy at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Ron, I'll put in one of these other needles and see what happens, wires
seem
>> good and timing light shows good on each one.
>>
>> Jim, that was the first thing I did, showed 205 on cylinders 1, 2, and 3
but
>> only 185 on 4.  That was the FIRST thing that I did..For an engine with
less
>> than 20 miles on it that difference bothers me and did from the start.
That
>> said, it's spitting out the front carb..
>>
>> Lester
>>

>>> On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:44 PM, Lester oldsaabguy at comcast.net [bugeye]
wrote:

>>> Ok, latest bit of info..
>>>

>>> Installed working non-electronic distributor.  Only change is that the
bang
>> from the backfire is a little weaker.
>>>
>>> Removed the airfilter and housing, the front carb is spitting out
fuel/air
>> mix every rotation, only getting backfire every third or fourth time.
Looks

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/wsthompson@thicko.com