[Spridgets] Pulling dash...how do I do it? any tips tricks or advice?

Kirk Hargreaves khargreaves2 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 21:16:13 MDT 2014

I'm a little self conscious around all of you guys.  I thought it was funny
(if you were referring to my dash board idea).

I rebuilt the engine several years ago for a 67 Camaro.  The well known
machinist who did the engines for the local dirt track was on vacation . .
. and of course I was in a hurry so I used another machinist to bore 30
over. The machinist swapped a 327 block for my 350 and although the numbers
would not match, I liked the idea of using an actual 327.

He used what was called (told to me as) a portable boring machine.  It
appears that he put a taper in the bore.  The engine would go about 500
miles before it needed another quart.

There was a very long down hill called Kirker Pass coming from Concord to
Antioch where I lived.  The plumes of smoke coming down that hill using the
engine for help with the braking were enormous . . . just crazy. It made it
seem as though the valve guides were the issue. I pulled the heads and
changed them out to brass valve guides with the correct tolerance. It was
the rings that would not seat.

I sold the car and later ran into the buyer.  I did divulge the oil burning
problem.  Twenty thousand miles later and the kid said that it was no
longer burning oil.  Hmmmm . . . doesn't sound right.  I would think that
if it was burning oil with the miles I had put on it, it would not stop at
20,000. But that was what he told me.

Get in a hurry, use the wrong machinist and you can end up with some
serious problems.

Kirk