[Spridgets] Drilling holes in a Bugeye

Bob Spruck raspruck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 20:01:05 MDT 2015

As I start to work on items on my long punch list on my new Bugeye, I am
at the point of needing the phenomenal insight, experience, and
helpfulness exhibited by members of this List. So, this is the first of
what will probably be a lot of questions. My main concern is to not
screw up and do something that I think will work, if you all know that
it won't and have a better way. Here goes.

The car came with a Healey hardtop and a set of side curtains. The
Healey hardtop is about 2" taller than the BMC one. The Healey top
requires bespoke side curtains while the standard side curtains fit the
standard soft top and the BMC hardtop. My plan was to install a tonneau
for the good seven months of weather here in GA and then use the hardtop
and side curtains for the winter and not get a soft top and frame. Now I
go to plan "B". If I can't find a set of Healey side curtains I may have
to go to a frame and soft top for the winter. Anybody have any input on
acquiring side curtains for a Healey hardtop?

Anyway, I bought a Robbins tonneau (the long variety) from
Bugeyeguy.com. Now I need to install the four Tenax  fasteners and the
two twist fasteners on the rear deck. What is the best way to drill the
holes without chipping or scratching my beautiful Speedwell Blue paint
job? Is there any place that has the location dimensions for the holes
or does it not matter as long as they line up with the holes I will put
in the tonneau?. Once I decide the locations should I mark them on and
then drill through masking tape? Center punch lightly? Drill a small
hole and then enlarge it? Any other considerations or tips?

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA

'67 Midget vintage racer
'72 Midget still awaiting its second restoration
'61 (?) Bugeye restored, needing minor attention
6+ parts cars in my MG hospice