[Spridgets] voltage blues

Michael Rowe mdrowe at optonline.net
Tue Apr 21 10:19:47 MDT 2015

As usual, I did too many things at once, so I don't really know what happened.  First, I tested voltage everywhere in the system, and found no difference that would indicate a bad connection.

And I retarded the spark, not really expecting for that to have much effect.

Then I charged the battery with a trickle charger.  I got 13.18v across the +/- battery terminals, but 12.65v from the battery + to everywhere around the engine. ??  But only for a while.  A few minutes later, I got 13.18v everywhere around the engine - all grounds connected  properly.

So I disconnected the charger, which showed a full charge.  With no charger attached, I still get 13.18v from the battery to  all grounds.  Of course, with voltage that high (and the spark retarded), the car started instantly.  It fired so quickly that I don't even know if the starter struggled to turn it over.

I will have to  let the engine cool before I can see if it will revert to the previous condition.

Does this sound like a sick battery that will hold a charge for only a short time?  Water it topped up.

  Michael Rowe
  '74 Bugeyed  Midget