[Spridgets] Shipping Ribcase tranny

Richard Ball rich_ball at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 17 10:28:46 MDT 2015

Here is the method I have use for shipping a couple Datsun 5 speeds.  You may be able to adapt it for the ribcase.

I pick up a 15x15x48 golf club moving box from FedEx/kinkos as the shipping box.  I cut four 15x15 squares of 2 inch thick hard foam insulation.  I have been able to pick this up at construction sites for free so far, but you can get it from any home depot type store.  I take one sheet and trace around the bellhousing and cut out the center keeping the outer ring.  I glue this ring to the top of one of the other foam squares.  Placing the transmission bellhousing back into the ring I pass four bolts through bellhousing bolt holes and the foam, this fasten the transmission to the foam block.  On the tail shaft end I do the same thing except I sandwich cardboard between the two foam sheets for added strength so the shaft can not punch through the foam.  This whole thing is then slipped into the shipping box.  The box will be too long so you will cut it down and create a shorter version of the original that is custom sized for the transmission.  since the transmission is supported on the ends centered in the box you don’t need to pad the sides.  I do usually use the cut out center section of the one foam pad to cover the drain plug for a little added protection.

Bill M originally gave me this Idea and I have tweaked it slightly with the addition of the foam rings for added lateral support.

Rich Ball
‘76 Midget
Everett, Wa