[Spridgets] How can you kill an alternator

Rick Fisk refisk at chartermi.net
Mon Feb 2 10:05:49 MST 2015

Alternators have to turn about 3000 rpm before they start to really produce.  The typical automotive alternator turns three times faster than the engine.  If your engine is idling at 700 rpm it's below the point where the alternator makes current and your warning light comes on.

If your engine turns 6 grand the alternator is turning 18,000 rpm's!  So Trevor, I think the answer to your question is that the bearings will fail before the electronics.  The output of an alternator is a straight line once it gets up to speed and stays there throughout the rpm range.

Sent from my keyboard