[Spridgets] More highway speed for a bugeye?

Kevin Valentine kevinv1275 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 17:00:13 MDT 2015

Ryan,

When you say performance, are you asking if it will have more power or are
you asking will it have a higher top speed?

The 4.22 rear was in the smaller engine cars (early cars) to augment the
lesser power achieved by the smaller engine.  The later rears were
installed in the later cars as the power of the engines were increased over
the years.

You can install a later rear in the Bugeye and achieve a higher highway
speed but you will loose some acceleration when going thru the gears.  It's
not a difficult swap and is easily reversed if you don't like the
"performance" of the later rear in the early car.

I probably have a 3.9 rear here we could put in your car to see if you like
the swap.  You could then source one for your car ;)  The one I have is
going in my next build in mid-summer but I am willing to loan it to you and
I will help you change it ;)

Kevin
Tuscarora, Pa