[Spridgets] Brake light switches - hydraulic and non-hydraulic types

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Sat May 16 13:28:20 MDT 2015

Well I fitted the new switch today.  I did manage to twist the 2 wires  off
it but then made a better job of soldering wires onto the terminals than
whoever made the switch did.  I also fitted male spade end connectors so I
could use the existing wiring from the hydraulic switch.  For now I've also
left the hydraulic switch and 4-way union in place - removal will be a
future  job l will do later.

I don't understand the whole 3mm free play thing.  The switch goes  from
being off to being on in about 3mm.  The switch has to be fully wound  into
the pedal box so that with the brake pedal fully up it is fully pressing  the
switch contact in.  Once the brake pedal is pressed down the switch  contact
is released and the brake lights come on.  I guess that pressing  the brake
pedal puts the brake lights on before the brakes are on, maybe not  such a
bad thing.  I do have some future brake hydraulic stuff planned so  will
leave things as they are for now.

I plan on fitting a couple of small zip ties to the switch to hold it
together since it only has flimsy crimping doing so at present.

At some point I'll get the inner wing modified so I can replace the switch
without unbolting the pedal box (also need to fit captive nuts to the
inside of  the car where the existing ones rusted/stripped out forcing the use of
a nut and  an assistant to hold a spanner on it.  I do have ARP stainless
bolts  retaining the pedal box now so won't have the same issue in the future
(I guess  BMC didn't use copper grease on the factory install).

Not least my 69 Sprite is fitted with the later pedal box including the
later pedal I call the 'hammer head' - possibly both only used on the 1500
Midget.

Finally, I'll be on the look out for a better brake switch.

Regards

Daniel