[Spridgets] Innocenti S on Bring a Trailer

Jay jfishbein at snet.net
Wed Sep 2 07:04:50 MDT 2015

"wrenches, welder, paint gun, and sewing skills." will be the least of your needs.
This car needs so many of the unique missing parts that even if someone does all of the work themselves it will still cost a fortune to restore. Furthermore, I would advise any interested parties to personally inspect the chassis of this vehicle. If this needs rockers and any other metal repair, coupled with the difficulty finding the missing parts, you might as well go for a swim with cinder blocks.

Below are my comments submitted to Bring A Trailer on this car.

As someone who has probably owned more Innocenti Spiders and parts than anyone in the world, I will offer a bit of advice.
These are very interesting cars especially if you have a love of Austin-Healey Sprites. They are a bit roomier, a tad luxurious (at least for their time), and it should go without saying, very rare and unique.
Buyers of any Innocenti Spider need to be prepared to pay their dues so-to-speak as the last point needs to be taken seriously because finding parts can be difficult. Outside of the mechanicals and some chassis panels, nothing crosses-over from a Sprite and almost 100% of the other parts are unique to this car. Taillights top the list of hard-to-find.
Of the seven I owned, only one was restored. The other six are still out there awaiting restoration.
Before I close, I must offer one suggestion and personal opinion. Do not transplant a non-original engine into one of these cars. They are too rare. If you want an Italian car with an Italian powerplant, buy a Lancia, Alfa, Fiat, Ferrari, whatever. jay