[Spridgets] merry xmas, now get to work on car.

Ron Corry Ron.Corry at iol.ie
Sun Feb 7 14:07:47 MST 2016

Inner drive-shaft coupling shot?

From: Mike Rambour via Spridgets
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2016 9:01 PM
To: Spridgets
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] merry xmas, now get to work on car.

Hi,

Thought I would come back with a status report on the mini that was not running on freeway that I asked about a month ago, remember that far back ? :)

I tried everything, I assumed like most of you it was gas related, swapped out fuel pump, swapped out fuel lines, pulled the distributor and checked its advance curve and put in optical points, back to the fuel system as it was still happening.

Decided to remove the fuel tank and clean it out inside, I found that the previous owner had used RTV silicone to install the sending unit…BINGO found the problem it was gas all right.

Rather large bits of silicone floating around in the tank, one would get sucked into the fuel pickup and stop the fuel flow…car would shut down and silicone would float away to come back later.  Here is a pic oh what came out of the fuel tank.   http://singer.rambour.com/stuff/mini/mini_gas.jpg

Car was running fine again until yesterday, new problem, its a squeak/grinding noise under acceleration only no noise when coasting or clutch is in.  Motor mounts feel fine as I thought it was a loose motor allowing metal to metal contact  Can’t identify it but its not the fan belt I removed it and tested that theory…ah the joys of someone else old car problem…

Mike

spridgets at autox.team.net

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75