[Spridgets] Steering Wheel project finished

Bob Spruck raspruck at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:43:39 MDT 2016

I finally found the correct size hub and wheel at LBC Car Co. Jeff Zorn
knew what he was talking about and had both in stock. Just for the
record and to disseminate correct info, the MK1 Sprite has a 5/8"
steering shaft spline while all else has a 3/4" spline. So, I got a
Moto-Lita 13" leather wheel with flat, thick grip, 3 chrome, slotted
spokes, and a Moto-Lita hub. Not the cheapest but good quality.

Mini-Mania sent me a later hub that didn't fit after they assured me
that it would. Their set-up is Mountney, a little cheaper, and not quite
as nice as the Moto-Lita. Most other supply shops either didn't know the
difference or didn't have a hub. Bugeye.com just added the correct hub
to their growing parts availability.

I'll be trailering the car up to Road Atlanta tomorrow to work Tech,
write magazine articles, and take photos, using the Bugeye as a paddock
vehicle at the VDCA race. Still can't race due to cataract surgery last
March that got infected and just cleared up. I will get the left eye
done next week with hopefully better results. Then I can pass my medical
exam and get racing (and seeing) again.

Bob