[Spridgets] Sucessful Spridget repairs, my youtube, sharing all I've learned

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 06:11:06 MDT 2016

Hi Spridgeteers,
Here is a little update as per 3 weeks of Spridget troubleshooting success
and what I learned.

1. Removed, cleaned and adjusted throttle cable, yes I'll replace it as I
had to remove one thread of the cable. Thanks Billy, David, Brad, Hal, Mike
and many others.

2. Removed fusebox as I has a short used small Dremel with sand paper disc
to clean terminals.

3. Cleaned the terminals with salt and white vinegar method and in minutes
got to brass, super easy just remember to stop the process with baking soda
and water method see this video. www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkw_52rFHU8

4. Replaced the 8-10 yr old battery with huge Interstate battery, although
the other one was fine.

5. Learned how to use my continuity tester thanks to Jim Seipple Lotus &
Spridgeteer from Texas and numerous phone calls.

6. Learned how to properly read my MKII schematic drawing and use testing
equipment properly thanks to both Jim Seipple and my mechanic and former
student Will Pillis.

7. Removed & tested Facet electric fuel pump & replaced fuel filter and re
attached ground properly. Works fine no need to remove to test ....ugh I
was scared to test while attached but now I'm fine. (I now have a spare
pump for the boot).

8. Blew a bunch of ignition fuses until I learned the best way to
troubleshoot the short via  removing all the ignition wires and replace one
at a time and test. Thank's Jim & Will that was great to learn.

9. Found 2 strange wires on the ignition fuse that were NOT on the original
schematic, thanks Will for helping me figure that one out, super cool to
ready and test the proper way. One wire had no connector on other end and
floated in the dash, the other was connected to the non functioning Lucas
horn, removed both.

10. Learned even though it says 35 amp fuses on the schematic drawings it
is actually 20 amp for the USA. Thanks Jim and several Spridgiteers

11. Cleaned & replaced parts using Anti-seize compound as per
Frank's suggestions many years ago at his OSHIT gatherings. Thanks Frank.

12. Thanks to this list/friends and my beach umbrella inside the engine
compartment to reduce the sun/heat.

13. Bought 2 new tools I can't live without:
My new very large shop style floor jack $100. Harbor Freight and my
Milwaukee M12 drill/driver (I've used the M12 for several years at school
and treated myself this year. I did several home repairs already and this
battery lasts forever, loads of torque and great small size.

My video:
https://youtu.be/OMgpZQXuGSk

Looking for an NOS MKII wiring harness for next year and any original horn.
Yes Pinky will get a full makeover next year.

I love you guys and my Spridget.
Lin
62 Sprite "Pinky"

PS If you can't see the photos let me know and I'll send them.

--
"Pay if forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut