[Spridgets] Update on blown pump, Lucas hell and other Spridget troubleshooting.

Linda Grunthaner grunthaner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 06:38:58 MDT 2016

Hi Spridigeteers,
I'm finally ready to fix my Spridget as I blew a few of my back discs and 2
weeks of traction at my chiropractor again has me good to go!

I didn't want to just replace everything not working on my Sprite without
understanding what went wrong so here is my method:

I went to my mechanic who is my former student and he said these Facet
pumps aren't that good and can over heat. He suggested I put in a relay
which he gave me a few from his bench and a lesson on how it all works as
well as testing. My mechanic named Will has a small junk yard too so lots
of handy parts to learn from, he actually met Frank in 2006/07 when I
spotted a Midget in his yard and Frank bought it and parted it out. Will
taught me how to test the pump and components via checking for voltage drop
on my multi meter and I was surprised about a small drop having signifiant
meaning. I also finally bought a good big auto jack (yes I use jack stands)
of which I had my Sprite up in seconds testing it out yesterday and I am
super happy with it. Will suggested I replace the fuel filter every year so
I’m glad I installed that filter such that it’s easy to swap out and love
that I have 2 fuel line plyers. Picking up a new battery today cleaning all
the fuse connections and replacing fuses with proper 20 amp, and then
testing my old Facet pump. I’ll clean and recheck all grounds and get new
heavy gauge wire and install the new pump if mine is shot. I’ll probably
get her running but I’m going to drive over to Will’s shop 10 miles from me
and have him look her over and show me a little more on testing with my
testers to be sure I’ve done everything correctly as Will loves to teach
and had to drop out of teachers college his last year to help his dad run
the shop.

My parts:
Same Facet pump so I don’t have to drill new holes
http://www.facet-purolator.com/posi-flo-pumps.php

Relay looks like this.
http://tinyurl.com/h4ctqxr

New only $100. jack with 19” lift yea that alone is motivating.
http://tinyurl.com/zfboh8m

Two of these fuel line plyers make the job a snap!
http://tinyurl.com/hv8jxrd

Also finally ordered this yellow fuel line tape.
http://tinyurl.com/gn5xdl5

Updates to follow, hopefully I'll remember to bend my legs and keep my
elbows close to my body so I don't blow my back out again.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Lin

62 Sprite "Pinky" 1275 engine

--
"Pay if forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut