[Spridgets] Smith's Heater Blowers

crusaderchuck55@aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Fri May 13 20:43:04 MDT 2016

    From all the vintage Smith's equipped vehicles I have seen over the years , it is not hard to imagine a different blower motor and housing assembly being on any car from the 50's & 60's.  Now what exactly came on a bugeye the day it was delivered and what's on a car today.....welllllll.I have a bad motor in my bugeye and a tested good one here awaiting my swapping them.  And coming to think of it check polarity of the motor so it does in fact "blow" Into the heater assembly rather than suck heat out of the heater.....could happen ya know.Chuck.On my way back!
Sent from my LG Mobile

------ Original message------From: w swift via SpridgetsDate: Fri, May 13, 2016 4:39 PMTo: spridgets at autox.team.net;Subject:[Spridgets] Smith's Heater Blowers
I'm involved in restoring a couple of Smith's Heater Fans.  I've got two  of them to work with.  Both have identical housings/scrolls, both have similar motors and fan impellers but are somewhat different.  I'd like to understand more about the differences. From the outside - they both look like AH Mark I (Bugeye)  heater fans (Item 1 here:)
http://www.spridgetguru.com/AKD3567/BP.html
But on the one removed from a Bugeye, the fan (item 3) is 2" wide and the motor (item 2) is fully enclosed.  The second fan is also a Smiths assembly, with a 3" wide fan, and the motor housing is vented - presumably because the flow is about 50% higher (3" vs. 2" impeller width), so the current draw would be higher.
The latter statement is guesswork.  I've been trying to find a list of Smith's blowers that includes these model differences, to verify my speculation.  At first glance the motor shafts, windings, etc. appear to be identical.
Does anybody know of a source for Smith's blowers specification sheets?  Model i.d.'s, rated flow rates, etc.
Any help appreciated.
Walt

--
w swift