[Spridgets] Tyres

Martyn Ridley ridleymj at brant.net
Tue Mar 28 13:01:28 MDT 2017

I just went through the process. I'm a bit of a purest so keep that in mind.

Standard tyre: 145/80 13 (NB: 3% under on the Speedo) NB: only size
recommended for 3.5 in. wide wheels

Alternate tyres: 155/80 13 - my replacement choice

                             165/80 13 - wanted to use these but
determined they would rub on my car.

                             165/70 13 - former tyre, same rolling dia.
as standard

                             175/70 13 - too large to be recommended for
4 in. wheels, may rub (will rub on sq. body)

                             175/60 13 - will rub, need 5 in. wheels

larger tyres can be fitted if you don't turn sharp corners (racers use
larger than I mentioned) but I do not recommend for regular road use.  I
checked out the Dunlop racing tyre used and it is too big for street.

I can't comment on spacers.

My tyre choice was Cooper, (yes, they are Yankee tyres, but mine were
made in Mexico - up yurs combover!).  Chosen because they were not
Chinese and came recommended by my tyre guy. In Europe you have better
selection, here were are scrambling since Vredestein stopped the 155.
If you want to spend bags of money Michelins are available.

If anybody is fitting 165s Brockley are making a tyre, worth a look. I
would have gone for if............

For those who don't mind Japanese tyres, Toyo does the full line, and I
believe Hankook does the 70 series. (I have used their off-brand Laufern
on my Honda)

Sadly, neither Dunlop nor Pirelli have a suitable tyre for the Sprite.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Martyn