[Spridgets] fuel senders and ethanol

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Thu May 4 18:39:48 MDT 2017

I have pulled a number of tanks and I have never had any water in them.
And yes, if there is any significant amount of water in the tank it AND the
alcohol will sink to the bottom.  This is in fact how you test gasoline for
alcohol content.  put a few oz of water in a graduated cylinder and note
where the water level is.  Add gasoline.  The water will pull all the
alcohol out of the gas and it will sink to the bottom.  The level of the
water alcohol mixture will indicate how much alcohol was pulled out of the
gas.  I have a test kit issued by Tecumseh motors that does exactly this.
In the 80's they were having a lot of issues with ethanol killing motors,
so they issued these test kits to warranty and service reps.  They were
finding alcohol content of 20% or more in a lot of pump gas.  This high
alcohol content caused the motors to run very lean and overheat.  Yet
another reason I won't run ethanol in a carbureted motor.

--
= Never offend people with style when you   =