[Spridgets] Early boot lid handle

WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com WeslakeMonza1330 at aol.com
Wed May 17 15:04:15 MDT 2017

Update - since the rod on the original boot lid has a fair size curve  I
didn't opt for tthe suggested carbon fibre fishing rod but bought some 7mm
aluminium alloy rod from ebay and hoped it would hot bend ok with just a
blow-lamp.  It did bend ok and I have a 90 degree bend on one end.   I'm going
to live without a proper flange as I'd need to find someone to weld  that on
after getting someone else to machine a flange.  However, I may get  some
flanges made at a later date and make another boot rod, along with a bonnet
prop.  I'm guessing that drilling a hole for the split pin might be
challenging for me, not least because I have to drill freehand, not owning a  pillar
drill.

Brian S wanted to know the boot lid weight.  I don't have the weights
handy but once the lid with the spoiler has been painted I'm guessing it will be
 close to the weight of a standard lid without a spoiler.

Final thoughts - in case anyone is wondering why I'm making an aluminium
rod boot stay it's because they aren't what I'd call cheap new, I didn't find
a  used one on ebay, and I wanted to keep the other stay on the old boot
lid so it  was complete so needed another one.  I'm guessing the weight saving
is  nothing to get excited about, although every little bit helps.

Regards

Daniel