[Spridgets] turn the key, and - click!

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 07:32:07 MDT 2017

Bad starter is always a possibility, but there are a few things to check
before you go down there.
"The other day I tried to start it for the first time in many months" is
the first clue.  I'd start with the battery and work the connections,
especially the ground strap from the engine to the chassis, if there is
one.
You can put a meter on the battery and if it drops significantly when
trying to start then it probably needs attention.  If it stays above 10 or
11 and you get just the click then start with connections and work toward
the starter.

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 8:27 AM, bmwwxman . <bmwwxman at gmail.com> wrote:

> If that doesn't fix it, you MAY have a bad starter.
>
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 5:29 AM, Rick Fisk via Spridgets <
> spridgets at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> First thing I would do is remove and clean both ends of both battery
>> cables.  Then reinstall securely.  Battery cables can develop corrosion
>> between the cable and mounting point even though they appear to be tight.
>>
>> Sent from my keyboard
>>
>> On Sep 21, 2017, at 11:34 PM, derf via Spridgets <
>> spridgets at autox.team.net> wrote:
>>
>> Check wiring and grounds.  Battery voltage should not drop very far when
>> cranking.
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:12 PM, Steven Michelsen via Spridgets <
>> spridgets at autox.team.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It's been an awful long time since I've posted, and even longer since my
>>> (formerly) reliable 1500 Midget has given me any trouble at all.  But now I
>>> have a small challenge...
>>>
>>> The other day I tried to start it for the first time in many months,
>>> using a brand new battery.  First, it cranked and cranked, slowing down as
>>> it tried to start.  Next time - nothing.  Just a solid CLICK.  I mistakenly
>>> took this to mean that I needed a new solenoid, which I bought and
>>> installed.  That wasn't the answer.  I turn the key and get a solid CLICK.
>>> The battery is still good - lights and such work fine.
>>>
>>> My question is, what's the next step to diagnose this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve