[Spridgets] Swapping silicone for dot 3

Bob Kitterer bkitterer at me.com
Mon Apr 23 15:13:47 MDT 2018

If it has or had Dot 3 then in my opinion you should do the complete rebuild.  You might be able to rinse the seals but for the money I do not think it is worth the risk.

Also you should be aware that silicone is a pain in the *!* to bleed.  It will pick up air from the least little agitation.  I now use a pressure bleeder, not a vacuum, to do the bleeding.   Once bleed I let the car stand for a day so any air that has been picked up will get up to the bleed valves and can be eliminate with another bleeding.

The brakes will also feel different, the peddle feels softer and at first you may not be sure if the car is going to stop,  It does but I find that the peddle seems to go firm, then for a moment soft and then firm.

Another 2 cents from here.

Bob  Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2013 Miata

Pay it Forward
Thanks Frank