[Spridgets] Weber Conversion

Mark J Bradakis mark at bradakis.com
Thu Apr 26 04:44:02 MDT 2018

On 04/25/2018 06:51 AM, John Farley via Spridgets wrote:
> Hi folks.  I am toying with the idea of going to a Weber carb in place
> of the
> HS 2s in my Bugeye.  The engine is a pretty much stock 1275 (1302).  I
> am thinking about a 40 DCOE or 45 DCOE?  Any words of wisdom from the
> group relative to the type, tuning tips, etc.?
> Thanks,
> John F.

A lot of people swap out their old, dirty, worn out SUs for a brand new
shiny Weber.  And they see major improvement in performance.  If they
swapped out a dirty, old worn out Weber for brand new shiny SUs  they
would probably see a major improvement in performance as well.

Properly maintained and adjusted SUs work quite well.  But if you want
to spend the money for the wow factor, stick with a 40 DCOE. 45 is too
big, needs to be really choked down for a 1275.  A 40 with 28 - 30 mm
chokes will work with a standard exhaust.  What you stuff in has to be
matched with what you let out.  A nice LCB header will complement the
increased breathability of the Weber.

Too bad I didn't keep notes, back 10, 12 years ago when I was working at
Bailey's we had a customer with a 1275 Bugeye who was very happy with
the configuration of the 40 DCOE I set up for him. At 4200 hundred feet
above sea level the optimal jetting will be a bit different than at sea
level.  Still have a little plastic tackle box out in the garage that
has maybe $1000 - $1500 of precisely machined brass bits in it.

mjb.