[Spridgets] Old guys

David Booker tncarnut1 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 12:03:34 MDT 2018

 Hey Guys & Gals,David Booker here. Have to admit I don't wander through the list posts all that much any more. Occasionally do, but rarely do I have anything to add, so I just read and move on. Sold my '71 Midget (that I bought from Frank) a bit over four years ago. Was at the time thinking that I was done with four-cylindered, skinny-tired LBCs. (ha-ha...) Then I came across my '74 1/2 BGT right after moving back home to Tennessee. Never been a fan of B roadsters, but have had a soft spot in my heart (or was it in my head?) for the GTs since a friend of mine's dad used to foolishly let his son and I head out on Friday nights in his BGT - while we were still teens in high school, no less(!).
Was planning to build and drop in a 302 / T5, add a shortened 9" rear, do the subframe update to add Wilwood brakes, rack & pinion steering, modern uppers and lowers, coil-overs, etc. Started buying the bits - even though I had multiple MG friends swearing they'd come beat sense into me before I "ruined" such a rare and nice car. Then one day it occurred to me that no matter how fun and nastly the BGT would be with 400+ HP, I would one day pull up to a light, see a 5-Window '33 or '34 Ford hiboy coupe, and say to myself "Wow, I've gotta build one of those some day..." (that car has been in my mind for decades) I was at the time 57 (will be 60 in a couple weeks, now). Yeah, I know myself pretty well. That's exactly what I would say upon seeing one.
About that time, another old dear friend of mine died suddenly. We had been like brothers since we were in Junior High. It hit me pretty hard. Also about that time, another old friend and I were talking about things and made a comment that really resonated with me. He said: "This ain't no dress rehearsal, you know. Get off your ass and do those things you want to do while you still can."
So now there's a black chopped-top '33 5-Window Hiboy coupe sitting in the garage next to the still-stock BGT... I intended to keep them both, but I really need space so I can build the monster Ford engine (and replace the bellybutton-esque SBC / TH350 drivetrain I bought it with) Another old friend once said that "Too much horsepower is almost enough." So I'm shooting for somewhere around 500 at the crank. Might not quite make that number, but it should be sufficiently rude to put stupid grins on my face for the foreseeable future.
Anyway - That's why I've been pretty much absent from the list lately. I've moved on to other (though related) things. By the way, my son is also 22 now. He was raised working on LBCs, motorcycles, ATVs, etc. He doesn't have the spare money for a toy car just yet, but he really wants to build a Super7 clone (something else that's been on my bucket list for years). So he's not fallen too very far from the old tree that is me.
Hope you're all doing well. I've finally met the love of my life (she's a car-girl that drives an AWD turbocharged six speed manual MINI Cooper S) and am having a wonderful time, just spending it in a different direction from Spridgets. If anybody needs me or wants to catch up some, you can get me via email, or thru my cell phone. If anybody is ever in Middle Tennessee, please do look me up.
...and does anybody want to buy a gorgeous, all-but-perfect '74 1/2 BGT? One of only 1,248 built. Probably the nicest unrestored example you'll ever see. It is definitely the best one I've ever come across. I need the space to build the new SBF. (plus, I'd like to upgrade the Sporty to a Road King. :-)
Later folks,David Booker(516) 662-9766