[Spridgets] Carburetor Needle

Bob Kitterer bkitterer at me.com
Thu Apr 30 13:16:21 MDT 2020

Silly me.  I came by a pair of new HS2 carbs about 8 years ago and decided to put them on the car.  Now there was nothing wrong with the ones on the car but theses were new.  First silly me.  Since they were new I assumed that they were set up correctly, float bowl floats, main needles and such.  So on they went and the car ran alright but I did not get the time to do much more than go to the gas station and back and this was at sea level.  Shortly after that I moved and now am at 5,500 ft and the car will not start except with the use of starter helper.  Needless to say the car has not been drive more than one or two trips to the gas station in the past six years.  So I finally decided that I needed to check the carb settings, the Ignition, valves, timing have all been checked and set.  So off came a float bowl cap and it has a plastic float that is no where near the “correct” setting.  I ordered the old fashion floats with the metal arms. Got those installed and moved on the main needle and jet alinement.  Surprise, I have never seen a needle like this one.  It is spring loaded, has a tapered screw that locks in to the piston.  This looks like it is used on late ‘67s and newer.  I’m early ‘67 and have no information on later units.  Any one have a source that will tell me how you adjust carbs with theses needles?

Bob  Kitterer

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2013 Miata

Pay it Forward
Thanks Frank