[Spridgets] Just an update for the list

Weslake1330 weslake1330 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 14:27:58 MDT 2020

Hi List,

Nothing very exciting.  Changed the exhaust silencer (single RC40 back box)
yesterday.  The old box wasn't blowing but tatty and I 'life' them at 5
years and it was 6 years old.  The system pipe is a home made stainless
steel pipe with a mating flange added and it was trouble fitting it due to
my using a saddle clamp in the past and now using a Mikalor clamp.
Eventually everything went together ok.  Still, at some point in the future
I think I'll buy some new stainless steel tube and make a new system pipe.
Or maybe I'll get some Ti or inconconel tube, no, that's just a fantasy, it
will be stainless.

I adjusted the back brakes ready for an MOT that's still not happening, a
few weeks back and one of the nuts fastening the drum (car has wire wheels)
didn't go on that well and while I used a new nut it looked like the stud
threads were damaged.  I didn't like the look of any of the theads on the
studs and not sure if I've over tightened them in the past or had a rogue
nut going from stud to stud over time.  I decided to replace all 4 (but
purchased 5 studs).  The hub is a double bearing and I think the studs were
new when I made the swap from single bearing hubs (18+ years ago).  The hub
nut came off ok using the very rarely used and correct size Snap-on socket
and a breaker bar.  The studs took a bit of persuasion and if the threads
weren't already rubbish, could have been re-used.  The new studs took a bit
of persuasion to go in but did eventually.  Everything went back together
ok and I even had time for a test drive.

Four weeks since the Sprite was last driven or I drove (its my only car)
and everything felt good.  My new mirror bracket (same as the other one but
sticks out further) seems ok but the mirror pointed down a bit.  Ran the
car to one ten without trying to hard (it does one ten almost by accident)
but didn't want to go any quicker on a test drive and have the exhaust fall
off or anything.

Got back and washed it - dirt from January's necessary drive in the wet
(had to go to a funeral) finally washed off and put in the garage and
adjusted the mirror.  'Course the handbrake isn't quite right now and I'll
adjust that in a week or so's time.

Daniel (England)