[Spridgets] SU fuel pump curiosity?

crusaderchuck55 at aol.com crusaderchuck55 at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 13:20:58 MST 2021

Working with an original never apart ( other than to check the points) SU fuel pump that seems to "tick" extremely slow.   Most of my experience has been they tick rapidly up to building pressure and then slow down to an every so often rate of making their tick sound.Now!   Before everyone jumps in with replace it...this is not an option .   The car I am working on is a 1962 Saab 96 with less than 10,000 miles on it and the car is incredibly original.   Saab mounted the pump right up in the engine compartment in plain sight!   It needs to stay there for obvious originality's sake.I am suspecting the diaphragm has hardened and is slowing down the pumps ability to run at the speed I am familiar with.So , whatcha think?   Replace the diaphragm and move onward with bringing this car back to life?ChuckGotta keep you all thinking!Wait until you see what's next on the list of odd and interesting cars here!