[Thicko] PVGP/VRG BeaveRun 2011

Ralph Steinberg ralph at cloverleaf-auto.com
Sun Nov 21 07:02:09 MST 2010

Gentleman,

We have been working feverishly to get our ducks in a row for the "new"
extravaganza known as the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix (actually should say
something like PVGP festival or something since it really encompasses two
races a rally, shows, etc, etc) Anyway down to what you are interested in

At Beaver we are proposing to you to make Spridgets one of our "special"
groups as we do FF. What this means is you will have your own paddock area
and can display Spridget stuff (we also realize that you guys are all pretty
much a sub culture of MGVR so if you want to fly the MGVR banner and push
some of their stuff I am OK with that) Any of your friends who come to watch
you race will and show up in a Spridget will be directed to a Spridget
parking area and you can add them to your entry form for dinners - sorry
they cannot be added as crew - well up to a point - we are relaxed about
crew at Beaver but to be listed as crew by you, you can have no more than5
adults, and a couple of kids. They have to be in and registered by noon on
Saturday or they will pay full boat at the gate -

 All of your Spridgets will race in the appropriate race group, and as in
years past these will closely follow VRG rules and regulations. But again,
as per usual, we may move cars around as we see fit to ensure the best time
and safety for all. In addition to the normal races you will all run and it
is a fair amount of track time, you will also get a Spridget only sprint
race right before lunch on Sunday as a lead in to all of our feature races.
So you will be in front of the crowd!

And as also hinted at and quietly promised there will now be one entry form
for both events and it will be quite simple for almost all of you to go on
to Schenley Park. Follow this link to see the race groups outlined for
Schenley Park. For those with smaller bore - under 1 - you will be delighted
to see you will not be tossed into the "fast" group - not that yours is all
that slow! You will also note that the other groups and the way they are set
up and the way the wording is for each group the PVGP is now as much
concerned with how you actually drive the car and your level of expertise as
they are with the car themselves. I think you will find the same attention
to detail in ensuring you wind up in the correct group that you do at Beaver
(Remember, this is PVGP too) so go to this link
http://www.pvgp.org/6746981220111824/site/default.asp

 I am not going to attach an entry link yet - within a few days - I think it
has all been ironed out but there were a few issues - real minor - mostly
wording and layout that I am not sure were finalized. May have been but I
would prefer to wait in case I am wrong. Regardless they will be up by
Thanksgiving if not up already. As in past years your contact for Beaver is
either myself or Keith klawewnce at edmc.edu or for Schenley the PVGP director
of competition is Richard Barnes barnesrd41 at comcast.net ( I do not think he
has filled in a staff yet so he is your man for Schenley)

OK I have gone out on a limb here guys, I have told Keith and my PVGP bosses
that we are going to be listing the Spridget race as the first annual
Spridget Cup Challenge. That means unless I want to look like a complete
fool, and I need no help there, I need to have at least 15 of you guys still
running before lunch on Sunday and 15 is a bit light for a real fun race!
And I have also flapped my jaws at my Schenley counterparts telling them
that "when I ran Schenley Park, well hell I had 15 Spridgets there!" And I
also told them that we could fill the tracks, both, with gaggles of these
little ankle biters (remember a small car for me was an MGA Coupe) So.. I am
needing you guys to thump this up. Let me know what I can do to make this
work for you at Beaver. Let Dick know what you need at Schenley, I think if
you ask nice enough he may give you the circle in the paddock. But you would
have to make it worth his while too. He has to answer to his bosses too and
his are going to be paying more attention to him than mine do (do not let
mine know I said that)

But bottom line is I and all of us here at PVGP have been listening and now
we are doing what you asked for so, gentleman the ball is in your court. Let
us know what you think need and expect and we will see what we can do to
make it all happen. As in all events and vintage racing in particular there
must be some give and take on both sides.

Enjoy

Ralph