[Tigers] engine options

Tony McNulty bamcnulty at optonline.net
Wed Aug 1 17:24:44 MDT 2007

Listers:

I've finally started (after only 18 years on blocks) a "personalized
restoration" of my (original 'cept for the BWA wheels) 1966 Tiger
(B382001321).  Pictures of what the car looked like on rollout and after
a "sort of" cleanup can be found where my son posted them at :

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3303093 .

That was around a month ago, and at this moment, the car's completely
stripped of everything except the front and rear ends, engine, and
tranny, and we're ready to drop the latter two and are looking for the
best paint-and-body resto shops in southwestern CT to get some quotes
for the first step -- blasting and painting.  That's Phase I.

I'm trying to plan ahead for Phase II and have sort of zeroed in on a
Ford Motorsport 302 with GT-40 heads (etc.), which can be found at:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=3791

The Burning Tiger Question is -- are there any header issues (like port
placement) with the GT-40 heads and should I perhaps be looking for a
different engine-head setup so that headers and starter motors and oil
filters tend to fit better?  (guess there are several header choices as
well...)

I don't want to do anything to the car that cannot be undone by
unbolting, if possible (except for frame stiffening, x-member exhaust
cutout and a welded-in rollbar).  I'll overhaul and retain all of the
original parts for the car so that a possible future owner can get back
to an original car, if that's wanted.  I don't intend to race the car,
but want something that's at least street competitive with some of the
critters on the road today -- just like the original Tiger was in 1966.

Any and all suggestions and help would be appreciated.  I can put up a
web site or perhaps a photo site if anyone's interested in following the
progress.

Thanks,

Tony McNulty
Weston, CT