[Tigers] engine options

William Lau mrlau at charter.net
Sun Aug 5 14:18:59 MDT 2007

The best thing you can do is get your calculator out and measure tires and
do figures on all of the cars that you know about and have had experience
with and you will get a real good idea of how low that 3.31 is with a 2.95
first gear.  A typical Tiger rear tire is about 25 inches around.  25 x 3.14
=78 inches around.  63360 inches in a mile divided by 78 inches = 812 times
the tire turns to make a mile.  812 times a gear ratio of 3.31 =2687 rev per
mile and a mile a minute is 60 per hour so you will turn 2687 revs per
minute or per mile at 60 mph
and if you had a .8 over drive you get 2687 x .8 and it equals 2150 at 60
mph.  If you take the 2687 that you got with the 3.31 gears and multiply it
by your 2.95 first you get 7900 rpm at 60 miles an hour in first gear not
counting wheel spin.  Take the 7900 rpm and divide it into 6000 and you get
76% as fast. That percentage times your 7900 revs per mile or revs per
minute equals 45 miles per hour.  If you don't understand what this is all
about, write me personally and I'll get you through it. But anyone should be
able to insert whatever figure in these calculations and get what ever they
want. -- Bill --

Any one comment on running 3:31 gears with the 2.87 or 2.95 1st gear
transmissions?

Mike