[Tigers] Sway bar

Theo Smit tsmit at shaw.ca
Sun Jul 29 19:56:18 MDT 2007

Hi Mark,
Stock Car Products (http://www.stockcarproducts.com/susp21.htm) use 4140
steel for their bars. They'd probably have all the other widgets
available if you chose to go that way... their bars are apparently 37
1/2" end to end, which would probably be borderline too wide for Tiger
applications. They might do custom splining if you needed a narrower one.

When I was on a budget I made sway bars from 1020 cold rolled solid
steel bar, bent using an acetylene torch. I never had one bend or break
but since it was a race only application the cycles-to-failure limit was
not approached. A friend who drove his swaybar (made in the same way) on
the street had it fail after several years. With a bar like that you'd
have to consider that it might take a permanent set if you ever hit a
big pothole.

Theo