[Tigers] Alternator wiring

Jay_Laifman at countrywide.com Jay_Laifman at countrywide.com
Tue Jan 8 09:29:23 MST 2008

As indicated, most are not actually single wire.  On mine, there are
three: B, S and L.  S gets looped over and connected to B.  B goes to the
battery side of the starter solenoid.  L goes to the light on the dash.

This L is very important though, and is not just the "light" it also
energizes the coils for the alternator to actually charge.  The other wire
to the light must go to keyed power.  So, when the keyed power is on, the
power flows through the light to the coils which lead to ground and
charges the coils.  When the alternator then spins, the power shuts off
the light.

Note that my alternator is a Hitachi off of a Nissan Z.  I pulled the
wiring diagram of the Z and found it wired exactly as above, including the
looped S to B.  It did have one more item though.  Parallel to the light
itself was a resistor.  This must allow for the charging to still work
even if the bulb blows.  I never put in a resistor and my bulb has never
blown.

Before I had this wired correctly, the alternator would not charge
immediately upon start up and needed a blip of the gas to get it going -
which charged the coils from the other end.

Jay

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in and transmitted with this communication is strictly confidential, is intended only for the use of the intended recipient, and is the property of Countrywide Financial Corporation or its affiliates and subsidiaries.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use of the information contained in or transmitted with the communication or dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited by law.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately return this communication to the sender and delete the original message and any copy of it in your possession.