[Tigers] synthetic gear lube

Sandy Ganz sganz at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 22 15:17:21 MST 2008

I have used Redline MTL in an older BMW box and had good results as well when cold. No leakage. I have it in another box, but have not used the car yet. Oddly it leaks like a sieve, but not due to the MTL. The biggest problem with Synthetics is they are sometimes too slippery for the synchro's which is normally may not be an issue with our type of gear boxes but can be. I have a couple of Porsche 930 gear boxes and I was told NEVER run synthetic in them as they will not shift well. They rely on friction for the synchro's and the synthetics are too slippery for them to work. ALSO make sure your not running anything with friction modifiers (additives) like for the Diff, some products have them and they have been known to cause issues with shifting due to being too slippery. That all being said, I'm generally not likely to go out of my way for synthetic for the gearbox unless I have it. Cruise the web for more info on the holy war on synthetics in the
 gearbox.

Sandy