[Tigers] engine spacers

Randy Smith RSSmithIQ at cs.com
Thu Nov 6 16:25:35 MST 2008

Russ-

I just installed a 15" Derale flex fan in my Tiger as recommended in
Tiger Tom's cooling article.  It does require raising the front of the
engine, but you have to be very careful not to go any higher than
absolutely necessary as the air cleaner will definitely rub the hood.  I
needed about 1/4'-1/2" additional clearance at the rack and all it took
was one washer.  As I recall, there are 4 bolts, so actually it takes 4
washers.  One on each bolt.  I did install new motor mounts at the same
time just in case the old ones were drooping a bit.

One thing I found out the hard way, is that you need to re-shape the fan
shroud.  If you are using the stock shroud, the two bottom corners need
to be bent outward to accommodate the larger fan diameter or your have
some impressive noise when you crank it up the first time!  If you hear
rubbing under acceleration, from the engine torque movement, it is more
likely the fan shroud than the rack, so bend it out a bit more.

By the way, the fan works great.  Well worth the effort.

-Randy

Russ and Tammy C. wrote:
> How many washers to raise the engine 1/2 inch at the steering cross member?
> I would like to place them before it is inside the engine compartment.  Thank
> you.  Russ
> _

Randy Smith
INNER QUEST, Inc.