[Tigers] Mercum Tiger - $80k Question

Stephen Waybright gswaybright at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 13:09:26 MST 2011

As to the cost to buy a Tiger and have it restored... by the time all was said and done, I was in for well over $80k and I bought my car WAY back in the 80's for $5k. Granted my car has some rather pricey extravagances and I suffered a couple big $etback$ with a shop in San Antonio before I shipped it to Dale A to start all over, but I haven't talked to anyone who had their car professionally and
completely restored for less than ~$60k, plus purchase price of the car
(you save a ton when you do the work yourself).

To drop $80k on a very nice fully restored Tiger may seem high against current market (and this car had a few minor things that should have been addressed), but it's a good deal compared to buying a Tiger that you intend to have professionally restored. With current price trends, market value will catch up in just a handful of years, if that.

If the guy is looking to resell the car, it was not bought well, but if he's going to keep and enjoy it for the duration, he's not going to loose money in the long run. On the other hand, $5k more might have snagged my car.

Stephen Waybright
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3031557/1965-sunbeam-tiger