[Tigers] Guy with the ignition problem

Pointers gpointer at telusplanet.net
Sun Jun 17 21:27:49 MDT 2012

Remember me? With the timing that would suddenly go way out of whack one way
or the other, such that the motor would barely stay running? I put out the SOS
pre-season.

Firstly, thanks very much to all those who responded with assistance. There
were many replies.

I took the advice of some, incl that of my new neighbor (used to own a shop):
Took the dual point out, put it in a box for posterity, and went electronic.
As much as I wanted to keep the period & LAT correctness of the dual point
(though mine was Mallory, not Ford), and despite any obvious issue with that
unit upon inspection, modern is the way to go.

Put it in, slapped on new plug wires, and away it went. Never has it started
so well.

As an added bonus, the blue NAPA wire set is a great compliment to my blue
exterior. Gained some unexpected esthetics.

Next, thru an excellent post I found on carbdford.com, I figured the vacuum vs
mechanical bit (having never had vacuum on the car before, had no idea the
reason/benefit. I'm enlightened). Set the initial timing per the shop manual
(6 degrees...vs 16 with the DP), which I estimate/calculate yielded ~30-32
total, and it pulls solid thru the RPM range. 30 is more than the shop
manual's 24, but less than what other research indicates might be optimal.
Anyhow, runs about like the old one did under acceleration, but I should
benefit in mileage and cooling with the addition of vacuum.

(What brand you ask? Dunno. Buddy bought it at the Portland swap meet. Looks
like a Pertronics knock off).

Haven't yet pulled apart the old one to solve the riddle.

Thanks again. Happy motoring.

Gary