[Tigers] Converting from 5 bolt to 6 bolt bellhousing and harmonic balancer question

Nathan Johnson vesselofgrace at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:30:48 MST 2012

So it turns out that the PO somehow found a 5-bolt Hi-PO 289 (which I thought
were really rare) to put in the Tiger and now that I am replacing the engine,
I have to find a 6 bolt bellhousing. Will I be able to reuse my throwout lever
or is there a specific one for the 6 bolt? Any other things that have to be
changed besides the bellhousing? I might have access to a Lakewood bellhousing
but I heard these require a different backing plate and fork. Anyone ever put
one in their Tiger? I'm also wondering what harmonic balancer to use. I
thought the Hi-PO engines used a special heavy duty balancer that would be
incompatable with the standard 289 that I am installing. I bought a new 28oz
flywheel but the auto parts store says they don't have harmonic balancers with
a specific weight rating.

Nathan Johnson

Sent from my iPhone