[Tigers] Hydraulic lifts

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Mon Oct 15 10:50:02 MDT 2012

Andy
	A friend of mine has a scissor lift in his small garage, it works
just fine.  I believe it is a Snap On lift but I'm not sure.  He bought it
used from an automotive garage.

Concerns;

Min height - now and then a low car will scrap on the lift - not sure my
Tiger would clear his lift with me in the car

Lock point - his lift only locks at the full up position which is not a
problem but more lock points would be better IMO.
You would only want to be under a vehicle in the up and locked position
which generally where it is put, lower positions are used for brake jobs and
the like.

Low point - his lift sometimes goes too low with a vehicle with no tires and
he has to raise the lift slightly with a floor jack to get it to raise.  I
believe this is mainly due to the lifts age and use, possibly maintenance on
the hydraulic piston and attaching points would fix that.  This may not be
an issue with a new lift.

	My friend also has a set of 4 tire stands that let him support the
vehicle under the tires to make room to work on the underside without
removing the lift, just dropping it down.   He also constructed 4 - HD 3
foot high stands to support a vehicle higher.

Any lift will have Pros and Cons you simply need to recognize the strengths,
weaknesses to work safely around them.

Ron Fraser