[Tigers] FW: Steering Rack Tiger 260

Gary Winblad garywinblad at comcast.net
Sun Feb 9 17:38:11 MST 2014

Hi Dr Mayf,
 We are still here temporarily swamped in rain even though we are in
a historic drought!

I have been waiting for someone to help your friend and his steering
questions..

The first thing he should do is put it back to stock!  Whatever
requires shims between the rack mount and the rack should be fixed..
maybe wrong pullies or motor mounts?

Next, he should be aware that stock steering geometry... isn't ;-)
Cars need what is called Ackerman geometry, whereby the inner wheel
turns tighter than the outside wheel.  Unfortunately when Shelby
threw a steering rack into the prototype he didn't give a $#!+ about
proper geometry.  Rootes engineers were afraid to  second guess the
master so they mostly left it that way.  Stock geometry forces the
outer wheel to turn tighter than the inner wheel, exactly BACKWARDS!
But, it has worked all these
years but could definitely could use work!  Dale Akuszewski and Bob
Hokanson(?)'s son have designed and make(?) entire new front
suspensions that have good geometry.  Only problem is cost ($4k+)
and availability.
Dale also has a cheaper and only slightly improved fix using an MG
steering rack and MGB steering arms.  It helps the geometry but I
don't think by much.  What helps Tiger geometry is to move the
rack back(aft) and move the tie-rod ends forward with longer steering
arms.
Stock does work but does put lots of stress on components if you
put it near full lock (dont' do it).  It does make a perfect brake
though, when I used to push my Tiger out of the garage, I used to
just turn the wheel to stop it from rolling down the drive.. easier
than reaching for the easy to reach parking brake!  Years of driving
with bad geometry causes great stress on the lower fulcrum pins
which have been known to break.
HTH,
Gary