[Tigers] Alpines rock!

Jay Laifman jay.laifman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 11:14:09 MST 2014

And I hope my smilie came in strong.  Note that I love my Alpine - and I sang
praise of the lowest hp car, the 912.  So, I would highly endorse the idea of
getting an Alpine.

FWIW, my car has the Holbay head, Holbay cam, custom pistons, twin Weber
DCOEs, lightened flywheel, custom curved distributor, and special racing
exhaust headers - all machine matched, and tuned by a Lotus expert who always
had a liking of Alpines.  There is no question in my mind that had Sunbeam
done this to their engines in 1965, there would not be a Tiger.

I've attached a picture of mine - along side of the Dodge Demon prototype.  I
was part of a magazine's photo shoot - the idea was to compare that last
Dodge/Chrysler little sports car to this one in the works.  The Demon never
happened, and neither did the article.  The thing about the Alpine (and the
picture) is that in some cases, the car really looks so right with those knock
offs spinning.

On Mar 2, 2014, at 10:03 AM, Owain Lloyd wrote:

> Horsepower shmorsepower, but i'd guesstimate this was a similar amount.
Its also holbay head on twin 45s (built by chris draycot). Not that it matters
much on a twisty road, handling and torque are more important.  Some of these
911s were proper tuthill cars but all period legal and despite the power
advantage they just don't handle as well as the alpine which is completely
neutral.  I suspect they did know we were racing as they were in the same
event!  Its a real beater car worth about 8-10k $ but inspires such
confidence.   Maybe I also have slightly bigger balls...  Comes in handy
sometimes! :)

> Agree there are hardly two more dissimilar cars to the alpine and tiger.
>
> On Mar 2, 2014 5:48 PM, "Jay Laifman" <jay.laifman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an Alpine with a 125 hp Holbay engine, and my dad's Tiger, as well as
a '73 911 and a '67 912.

> The Alpine is a wonderful handling car, and on paper has more hp/lb than a
stock 260 Tiger.  But they are completely different animals and one is not
better than the other.

> As to trouncing 911s.  BS.  ;-)  It just must have been your driving ability
(or the Porsches didn't know you were racing them).  My 911 is the "lowly" T
and there is no way either hopped up Alpine or Tiger can touch it on the race
track.  Just not true.  Sorry.

> Now, which is my favorite car to drive to work every day - the 912, with the
lowest HP of all of them.  I never ever expected to like that car.  Got it as
a fluke.  The engine, which I would think is a VW engine, is not.  It's the
last iteration of the 356 engine - the engine that made the company famous.

> But, there is nothing, nothing like the torque and roar of that Tiger.  Puts
a smile on my face every time I shift.  And sometimes the lower the RPM I
shift, the more of the smile.

> Jay
>

> On Mar 2, 2014, at 9:42 AM, Owain Lloyd wrote:
>
> > I competed in a 5 day event in France this week in an Alpine belonging to
> > friend (who is an ex British rally champion).  It was sooooo good that
I'm