[Tigers] Tire Changer - there is a difference

Jay Laifman jay.laifman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 10:52:36 MST 2014

I had a shop change tires on one of my cars and they nicked the rims.  I
later went to another shop for another car and told them how concerned I
was about wheel damage.  They insisted they had one of the machines that
did not touch the tires.  Turns out they didn't know what they didn't know.
 Their's did still touch the wheel, and damaged it as well - though not
easily visible.

A couple weeks ago, I was at one of those new fangled shops for customizing
SUVs with radios, alarms, and crazy big rims with super low profile tires.
 I went to see what kind of machine they had.  Now THEY had a machine that
did not touch the wheel.  It was beautiful to watch.  It had something like
six arms that reached out and grabbed and squeezed the tire and lifted it
off.  I've never seen anything remotely like it at the standard tire shops.

So I had them do the tires on my Boxster.  It went beautifully.  I'm also
having them do the tires on my Tiger, with the rare Silverstones. They can
order any tire I want, and their prices are on par with other places.

I'd suggest finding shops like this to get your tires changed.  This place
is Fantazy Motorsports in Thousand Oaks.