[Tigers] Tiger Hardtop Restoration Project

genepadgett at comcast.net genepadgett at comcast.net
Tue Mar 11 11:41:01 MDT 2014

Hi all,

First a bit of background and then the question.

I have two hard top shells I am trying to rescue by repairing the rusted-out sections. I will be trying the electrolysis derusting method (small kiddy wadeing pool for container) priming what is left (weld through primer and then cutting out and having new metal welded in, and then repainting everything. Probably treat the hollow areas with Eastwoods internal chassis cavity rust preventive product.

I have just stumbled on a slight difference between the two tops. One has two "L" shaped brackets along the lower area under the rear window for the rubber straps that hold up the soft top cover flap to hook into. The other does not. I am thinking the latter one must be for an earlier series Tiger/Alpine that had the metal lids over this area rather than the soft cover flap.

The outer shells on both tops are in really excellent condition, even at the rear corners and across the back under the rear window opening. The inside of the bottom rear sides and bottom of the corners and part of the side window rails in that area are in need of major metal replacement.

I have just noticed the area in the rear corners where the heavy rubber pads attach seem a little different between the two tops. Both tops have one corner with the remains of what looks a metal plate that was used to attach the corner pad to the top. There is enough metal left on these corners to somewhat trial fit new pads I got from Sunbeam Specialties.

On the presumably older top, it appears the pads would fit well, with several, if not all, of the predrilled holes in the pad lining up with the holes in the top.

When I look at what I am calling the newer top, I see the metal plate is much narrower and has small strip of the U channel metal running along side of it. The plate and U channel together take up about the same space as the larger plate on the older top. The only way I could see the rubber pad fitting there on the newer top is if the pad was cut out so the U channel piece would stick through. I can envision that a short piece of the sealing gasket that runs along the sides of the top might help seal the hollow area of the corner pad where the metal plate fits. But I am also wondering if this is just something the previous owner was trying on his own.

The question then becomes does anyone else's hardtop have a piece of the gasket material that goes under the side and across the back of the top also in the cavity of the corner pads? If so, was the corner pad notched out to allow the U channel to protrude into the corner pad cavity between the top and the car body?

Many thanks for any help anyone can give. Any other tips or suggestions from others that have done this sort of thing would also be gratefully received.

Gene