[Tigers] Tigers' Rear Axle

genepadgett at comcast.net genepadgett at comcast.net
Sat Mar 29 14:19:59 MDT 2014

This is probably not directly to the point of your question but may be passingly relevant.

When I put a Powr-Lok limited slip into my Tiger several years ago, I had to be careful to make sure the axle splines matched up to the limited slip unit requirements. Also the stock Tiger 2.88 ring gear has different size bolt holes from most,if not all, Powr Loc units.

Since I was also switching to a domestic US 2.72 ring gear it matched up okay to the Powr Loc unit. However the accompaning pinion shaft had a fine spline for the part that mates up to the back universal joint on the drive shaft. I was able to get one from Sunbeam Specialties. It was not in their catalog however, they apparently had a limited source for them at the time. It was slightly longer front to back than the stock piece but there was sufficient slack in the front yoke to trans output shaft connection to make it still work. I did "dress" the part of the yoke that previously was outside the trans tail shaft housing but was now going into the tail shaft seal area to make it smooth.

Again, maybe not all that much relevant to your question, but hopefully helpful to some degree.

Gene