[Tigers] Tigers' Rear Axle

Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light) mark.rense at ge.com
Mon Mar 31 07:52:59 MDT 2014

I found this info in an old Dana Spicer catalog, the Dana 44 can withstand
momentary torque loading over 4400 ft-lbs and continuous of 1,100 ft-lbs., and
since these are conservative engineering ratings based on a combination of
rigorous testing, multiple calculations, and a herd of lawyers breathing down
the engineer's backs,  I would assume the safety factor is at least 1.5 of
those numbers.

To put it in perspective, my 331 makes a maximum of 352 ft-lbs. and that
multiplied by a 2.78 to 1 first gear will produce around 1000 ft-lbs. of
torque at the input side of the pinion. Now when I drop the hammer at 3000 rpm
or so the impulse torque could be several times that but since traction is
limited the maximum impulse torque the Dana sees will probably be limited to 3
or 4 times the continuous available.

My bottom line is that our Dana 44/Salisbury 4HA rears are rather
over-engineered for the vast majority of Tiger applications and should hold up
fine for any reasonable power upgrade, blown 588 Big Blocks or Duke's next
project being the exception.

Bugz

_______________________________
Dana 44 Axle Specifications: