[Tigers] Changing Spark Plugs

Dave Munroe dave at munroe.ca
Fri May 9 11:09:32 MDT 2014

Jay:

Call me crazy, but:

I blew an exhaust manifold gasket last year when one of the bolts at cyl #8
went awol.
My car is fitted with headers, which also requires some reduced head bolts
to clear the tightly fitting pipes. With some great help from the guys on
this list, I was directed to some dynamite bolts and a pair of blow-out
proof gaskets which, as good as they are, required I get right in there and
manipulate "things".

After turning my wrists into pretzels, I decided there was no way out: I had
to pull the steering column. Was I pleasantly surprised to find how easy it
was! The only wires involved are in a small turn signal/horn harness, and
there was enough slack (some great service procedure foresight here!) that
they didn't even have to be disconnected.

So, the plugs on the passenger side are all a piece of cake to
remove/replace, and on the driver's side with the column pulled back, also
now pretty easy peasy. The hardest one is likely cyl #8 if you are
flexibility challenged, but if you have kept up your garage yoga training,
you should have no trouble accessing that spark plug through the firewall
hole where you are greeted by the tip of plug #8 on removal of the rubber
bung.

YMMV and good luck!

Dave
ps Don't forget to mark the splines when you disconnect the column from the
U-Joint (!)